http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NhkK-1epUA : Gotye- Somebody That I Used to Know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtl8K0kO4P4&feature=related :Gotye- Somebody That I Used to Know (Walk Off the Earth cover)
Listening Framework: Gotye- Somebody That I Used to Know
-Listening Phase 1-
Tempo: medium
Source of rhythm: bass, guitar, and quiet drums
Groove: straight forward, bouncy, kind of dance-y
-Listening Phase 2-
Instrumentation: guitars, bass, bongos and other percussion, vocals
Organization: intro, verse, chorus, bridge, second verse, chorus, extended chorus
Emotional Architecture: starts out slowly builds the whole song and then the last chorus is really dramatic
-Listening Phase 3-
Balance:
Height: mostly mid range and some high frequencies
Width: nothing is really panned too much
Depth: multiple layers of percussion and guitars but very simple
Listening Framework: Gotye- Somebody That I Used to Know (Walk off the Earth cover)
-Listening Phase 1-
Tempo: medium
Source of rhythm: guitar tapping
Groove: straight forward, bouncy, kind of dance-y
-Listening Phase 2-
Instrumentation: one guitar, vocals
Organization: intro, verse, chorus, bridge, second verse, chorus, extended chorus
Emotional Architecture: starts out slowly builds the whole song and then the last chorus is really dramatic
-Listening Phase 3-
Balance:
Height: mostly mid range and some high frequencies
Width: nothing is really panned too much
Depth: vocal harmonies
Both of these songs are the same in organization obviously since it's the same song but one is a cover. So the lyrics and general melodies and harmonies are the same but the fundamental difference is that the cover is played entirely on one guitar. I found this interesting and not just because it's a gimmick but I prefer this version since it's so well done. The original is very catchy though and arranged well which is likely why it is so popular on the radio. The original also has more depth since it was most likely mastered in a studio with multitudes of tracks and layering and the cover was recorded live on one guitar. Overall though I really enjoy this song.
Both of these songs are the same in organization obviously since it's the same song but one is a cover. So the lyrics and general melodies and harmonies are the same but the fundamental difference is that the cover is played entirely on one guitar. I found this interesting and not just because it's a gimmick but I prefer this version since it's so well done. The original is very catchy though and arranged well which is likely why it is so popular on the radio. The original also has more depth since it was most likely mastered in a studio with multitudes of tracks and layering and the cover was recorded live on one guitar. Overall though I really enjoy this song.
No comments:
Post a Comment